Thursday, April 9, 2009

Field Trip

On this field trip we went to camp Spears. It was very educational. I learned about bogs, lakes, and teamwork, but I'm only going to talk about the bog and the lake. At the lake we caught a frog. Then some people caught leaches. I caught some bugs and learned that they were I think stone fly larva. They were swimming and didn't know that larva could swim. At the bog I saw that the land looked like you could stand on it but as we learned from the counselers said that a kid stepped down in the bog moss. We also learned that there is a tar substance in there so it's impossible to swim. So if you fall in you couldn't get out without help. That's what happened in England where there was a man found in a bog and because of the tar it mummified him in a leatherly layer of tar stuff. He was so preserved people thought that it was a murder that might have happened 3 weeks earlier. But it turned out he was hundreds or thousands of years old. And that he was part of a sacrifice ceremony. The last thing I learned was that the bog we visited was actually the largest bog in North America!

No comments: